On Eid day these things are Sunnah:
- Cutting hair (cut your hair according to Sunnah and not according to the English styles).
- Cutting Nails.
- Having a bath.
- Doing Miswaak (cleaning of teeth with a Miswaak, this is apart from Miswaak done during ablution).
- Wear nice clothes, if new wear them, otherwise wear washed ones.
- To put Ittar on.
- Wearing a ring (whenever you wear a ring keep in mind that it should be not more than 4 grams, in weight of silver and wear only one ring. There should be only one stone in this ring. Don’t wear a ring without a stone. There is no limit for the weight of the stone. A ring made of any other metal another ring cannot be worn).
- Offer Salaah-tul-Fajr in the Masjid in your area.
- Before going to Eid-ul-Fitr Salaah, eating some dates – 3, 5, 7 or any amount. But they should be eaten in odd numbers. If dates are not available then eat something sweet. Even if nothing is eaten before the Salaah, it is not a sin but if nothing is eaten till Salaah-tul-Isha then he will be reprimanded.
- To offer Eid prayer in Eid Gah.
- To go walking to the Eid Gah.
- There is no harm in going on any sort of transport, but it is better to walk and there is no harm in coming back on any sort of transport.
- When going for Eid Salaah choose one path and when coming back come on from another path.
- Giving Sadqa-e-Fitr (charity) before Eid Salaah (it is better to give it before Eid Salaah but if that’s not possible then give it after the Salaah).
- Showing happiness.
- Giving a lot of charity.
- To go to the Eid Gah relaxed and dignified, with eyes kept down.
- Congratulating each other.
- After Eid Salaah shaking hands. It is better to embrace one another, like the usual custom of the Muslims, since it shows affection.(Alhadiqa-tul-Nadya, V2, P150 Maswi, V2, P221)
- While going for Eid-ul-Fitr Salaah, to say Takbeer quietly and while going for Eid-ul-Adha one should say the Takbeer loudly. The following is called Takbeer:
AllahuAkbar, AllahuAkbar, Laa Ilaha Illallahu
AllhuAkbar, AllahuAkbar, Walillahil Hamd
”Allah is most great. Allah is most great. There is no one else worth Worshipping except for Allah and Allah is most great. Allah is most Great and all the praise is for Allah.”